We encourage you to talk with your children as much as possible.
There is information available to help parents and carers.
Your GP can help with health related problems, as can the health visitor or school health nurse.
If you are worried your child might have a problem with alcohol or drugs there is a young persons substance misuse service in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan. The substance misuse nurses can carry out interventions, support and educate young people, signpost them to different services and offer advice to parents and carers. They can be contacted directly on 029 2090 7675 or 029 2090 7678.
The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) is dedicated to eradicating the sexual abuse of children. They offer advice and help to keep children and young people safe especially online. The web address for CEOP is www.ceop.police.uk and has dedicated sections for parents and carers as well as children and young people.
Another national website is The Safe Network . Though England-based, much of it is relevant to parents and carers in Wales.
There are a number of organisations, networks and support groups working within Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan that can offer help and advice. Some of these are listed below.
Cardiff Specific Organisations:
- StaySafe is a multi-agency project that aims to keep young people safe in Cardiff in the evenings. The team help keep young people safe and educate them on risk-taking behaviours.
- For school age children Cardiff Against Bullying works with children who are being bullied as well as the perpetrators to break the cycle of bullying.
- The Cardiff Family Information Service can be your first point of contact for information about local services for children, young people and families.
- The Sprout is an interactive website that encourages creativity and direct involvement while providing information on activities and services available to every single young person in Cardiff.
- The Cardiff Youth Service works with young people to develop interesting, challenging and creative opportunities and experiences.
Vale of Glamorgan Specific Organisations:
- The Vale Family Information Service can be your first point of contact for information about local services for children, young people and families.
- Vale of Glamorgan Youth Service aims to give young people the opportunity, support and information they need to reach their full potential.
- Vale Bullying aims to establish a coordinated, consistent approach to dealing with bullying in the Vale of Glamorgan schools, youth and community settings.